Libyan TV confirms fresh airstrikes on Tripoli by Western-led coalition
Laaska News March 28,2011
TRIPOLI, March 27 (Xinhua) — The Western-led coalition bombed targets in Tripoli Sunday night in a fresh round of attack, Libyan state TV reported.
Both civilian and military targets were hit by the “colonialist aggressors,” said the report.
Earlier, more than five explosions were heard in the Libyan capital, which were followed by anti-aircraft gunfire by Libyan forces.
According to local residents, a road to the international airport and a neighborhood in Tripoli were among the areas airstriked by the coalition forces.
The Western-led airstrikes on Libya entered the eighth day on Sunday. The latest bombardment came as NATO agreed to take over command of all military operations in Libya, including airstrikes.
The decision of the military alliance was reached at a special meeting of ambassadors of 28 NATO member states on Sunday in Brussels.
At least 114 Libyans have been killed and 445 others wounded in the Western-led airstrikes on Libya, according to Libyan health authorities.
Earlier on Sunday, Libyan rebels recaptured the major oil exporting terminal of Ras Lanuf and the town of Bin Jawad, 525 km east of Tripoli, pan-Arab Al-Jazeera TV reported.
Bin Jawad fell to the hands of rebels without any clashes, Al-Jazeera said.
The fall of the towns came after rebels have touted the government forces in the cities of Uqalya, Ajdabiya and Brega in east Libya.