Home > LIBYA > Gaddafi calls for end to attacks on Libya

Gaddafi calls for end to attacks on Libya

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Laaska News March 29,2011

“Leave Libya for Libyans”: Gaddafi to London int’l meet

Gaddafi calls for end to attacks on Libya

Muammar Gaddafi has called for an end to barbaric attacks on Libya.

In a message to the participants in a forthcoming London meeting who are due to take up the situation in his country, Gaddafi likens the Western coalition’s moves with Hitler’s military campaigns.

Gaddafi feels the operation Odyssey Dawn seeks to destroy the developing country in question and eliminate its people.

The forthcoming meeting in London is expected to feature the attendance of officials from more than 40 countries that are members of the United Nations, NATO, the African Union and the Arab League.  

.

Prepare for new era – Cameron / Sarkozy

French President Nicolas Sarkozy and British Prime Minister David Cameron have appealed to Libyans with a call to prepare for a new era without Muammar Gaddafi.

In their address, the leaders of Britain and France said that Gaddafi should leave immediately. They called on his supporters to cease supporting him “before it’s too late”, and opponents to join the process of changing of power.

According to Sarkozy and Cameron, the international community will meet in London today to discuss steps for a political transition towards a new era, when the Libyan people will choose  their own future.

US not to topple Gaddafi by force – Obama

President Barack Obama said on Monday that the US is against the idea of forcing Muammar Gaddafi out of power.

His statement came hours after a representative of the American military command in Libya William Gourtney said that Washington  still lacked a clear picture of what the Libyan opposition forces are all about. On March 17 the  UN Security Council approved a resolution to establish a no fly-zone over Libya and opening the way to a foreign military operation in this North African country. 

Russia, for its part, says the Western intervention in the civil war in Libya has gone well beyond what was prescribed by Security Council resolution 1973.  The Arab League, has called for a peaceful resolution of the conflict.

Command for Libyan operations to be handed over

The transfer of command from the US to NATO of military operations against Libya will take place on Wednesday. This was announced in an address to the US on Monday by U.S. President Barack Obama.

“NATO will assume authority for the arms embargo and ensuring the no-fly zone over Libya” said Obama and added that the expansion of the military operation would be a mistake.”

More Coalition airstrikes on Libya

The Western coalition has delivered more airstrikes at targets west of Tripoli. This comes in reports by the Arab TV channels Al Jazeera and Al Arabiya, although they fail to specify the facilities destroyed.

Meanwhile US President Barack Obama rejected, in his address to the nation, the use of force to topple the Gaddafi regime in Libya, but admitted that the coalition did manage to check the advance of Gaddafi troops against the rebels.

Russia said earlier that the West’s interference in Libya’s civil war has gone beyond the framework of the relevant UN Security Council resolution.

Russia.

.

“Leave Libya for Libyans”: Gaddafi to London int’l meet 

 
TRIPOLI, March 29 (Xinhua) — In a letter to international powers gathering in London to discuss the fate of Libya, leader Muammar Gaddafi on Tuesday called for ending what he described as “the unfair and barbaric offensive” against the Libyans.

“Leave Libya for Libyans. You are committing genocide against a peaceful people and destroying a developing nation,” he said in a letter carried out by official news agency Jana.

Gaddafi, in power for 42 years, said the situation in Libya will be handled by the African Union (AU), asserting Libya would accept “what a high-profile AU commission would decide.”

The world’s major powers, the UK, the United States and France, started on March 19 to launch strikes from the air and sea against Gaddafi’s forces after the UN Security Council passed a resolution to impose a no-fly zone over Libya.

The resolution also called for authorizing “all necessary measures” to protect civilians in Libya, an appointed reference to military operations.

Top diplomats from 35 countries, including Muslim NATO member Turkey, are to meet later Tuesday in London for talks on the future of Libya.

Before leaving for London, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the meeting is mainly to tackle diplomatic efforts to force the Libyan leader to step down.

The meeting also will bring together high-ranking officials from NATO, the UN, the AU and the Arab League, which has been invited for the meeting.

The meeting will also be attended by the foreign ministers of Arab countries Jordan and Qatar which was the only Arab nation and the world’s second country officially recognized a Libyan rebels council.

France is the first country to recognize the council as “the legitimate representative of the Libyan people.”

 
 
 Xinhua.

Laaska News.

www.laaska.wordpress.com