Home > LIBYA > War in Libya:Libyan rebels attack Gaddafi’s last retreat + Related News

War in Libya:Libyan rebels attack Gaddafi’s last retreat + Related News

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Laaska News  Sept. 4,2011
 

Libyan rebels. Photo: RIA Novosti

Units of Libyan rebels are attacking the city of Bani Walid south-east of Tripoli.

Earlier it was reported that the talks between Gaddafi’s supporters and opponents have failed. In the last 48 hours Bani Walid was heavily bombed by  NATO.

Gaddafi and his sons are presumably in Bani Walid.
VOR.

 

Last ditch negotiations for Libya’s Bani Walid broke down

TRIPOLI, Sept. 4 (Xinhua) — Talks for the surrender of the besieged Libyan town of Bani Walid broke down on Sunday, chief negotiator of the National Transitional Council (NTC) Abdallah Kanshil told a press conference.

“From my side, the negotiations are finished,” Kanshil said, however, there are no comments available from the other side.

Previously, a NTC commander Mohamed Al Fassi said negotiations had stalled. “Those people are not serious,” he said.

On Saturday the NTC officer gave a deadline for Bani Walid inhabitants to raise the white flag by Sunday at 10:00 a.m. (0800 GMT) or face an all out attack.

According to local sources, several relatives of toppled leader Muammar Gaddafi, including his son Saadi, are still in Bani Walid.

Civilians who fled the city reported that a number of pro- Gaddafi loyalists had left the city for surrounding mountains, taking heavy weaponry with them. They described the town as a ” ghost town” with closed shops, and without petrol or gas.

On Saturday, Chairman of the NTC Mustafa Abdel Jalil gave pro- Gaddafi loyalists still holding out in the towns of Sirte, Bani Walid, Al Juffra and Sebha a deadline expiring on Sept. 10, to surrender their weapons.

Xinhua.
 
Laaska News.
www.laaska.wordpress.com