Home > Japan, News > Japan:Density of hydrogen at No.1 reactor over 60% + Related News

Japan:Density of hydrogen at No.1 reactor over 60% + Related News

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Laaska News  Sept. 29,2011

The operator of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant says that high densities of hydrogen have built up in pipes connected to the No. 1 reactor.

Tokyo Electric Power Company says that an explosion is unlikely as there is no oxygen in the pipes, but that it will begin work to drain the gas starting on Thursday.

TEPCO began measuring the density of the gas on Wednesday after finding it accumulating in pipes connected to the reactor’s containment vessel late last week.

It found that the density of hydrogen was high, at between 61 to 63 percent.

TEPCO says the hydrogen is likely the remains of gas that caused explosions at the plant in March, following the quake and tsunami disaster.

The utility has also promised to check the density of hydrogen in pipes in the No. 2 and No. 3 reactors, in line with instructions from Japan’s nuclear safety agency.


Japan to postpone test to restart Menu reactor


The Japanese government is postponing a test-run of an experimental fast-breeder nuclear reactor due to uncertainty over the future of the country’s nuclear energy policy.

The Monju fast-breeder reactor uses plutonium extracted from spent nuclear fuel to generate power. It is seen as a prototype for Japan’s next-generation nuclear power plant.

The government aimed to conduct a test to raise the reactor’s output to 40 percent of its capacity by the end of next March.

However, in the wake of the accident at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, Japan’s Atomic Energy Commission has begun reviewing the country’s long term energy policy.
A new policy outline will be compiled over the next 12 months.

Science and technology ministry officials on Friday will meet officials from Tsuruga City and Fukui Prefecture, which host the fast-breeder reactor, to explain the state’s decision not to test-run Monju for the time being.

Monju has been suspended for more than 2 years due to a technical problem. The trouble occurred only 3 months after it resumed operation following a 14-year shutdown caused by a leakage of sodium coolant in 1995.
Laaska News.