Home > News > Kenya:Second explosion in Nairobi kills 1, injures 10 + Related news

Kenya:Second explosion in Nairobi kills 1, injures 10 + Related news

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Laaska News Oct. 25,2011

A second explosion ripped through the Kenyan capital Nairobi on Monday night leaving one person dead and almost a dozen others injured, less than 24 hours after another blast rocked a local nightclub injuring 14.

Police blame members of the outlawed Al Shabaab militant group for the initial attack.

Kenya is at war with the militia group and has launched an offensive, which has seen the country’s military going after them inside Somalia.



At least one killed, more than 10 others injured in another explosion in Kenyan capital

NAIROBI, Oct. 24 (Xinhua) — At least one person was killed and more than 10 others seriously injured in another explosion in the Kenyan capital of Nairobi on Monday night, media staff and police confirmed.

Dan Obala, a staff member from the city council medical confirmed to Xinhua at the scene that the casualties stood at one death and 13 injuries so far.

There were contradicting reports of casualties at the scene. Benjamin Kioko Kiilu, the manager from the Kenyan Red Cross Society, told Xinhua that one was killed and several others injured in the incident.

The manager also said they did not know what exactly caused the explosion and whom the explosion was targeting.

Martin Mowgi, a resident in the neighborhood, told Xinhua that he heard a loud explosion which occurred around 7 p.m. local time and the explosion site was sealed off immediately.

Nairobi Provincial Commissioner Njoroge Ndirangu told Xinhua ” We are piecing together details and we do not expect more attacks. ”

Meanwhile, Police officer Binti Hamadi said an unidentified man hurled a hand grenade on commuters who were waiting to board their public passenger vehicles to go home along Racecourse road, a formerly OTC bus stop in downtown Nairobi.

“At least one person has been killed and 10 others seriously injured. We have called ambulances which have rushed the injured to Kenyatta National Hospital,” Hamadi told Xinhua at the scene.

She said they have not established the motive behind the attack which took palace around 7:56 p.m. local time.

The latest attack came hours after a hand grenade attack injured at least 14 people.

“We counted at least 12 people who were injured in the OTC bus station. All the injured were commuters who were waiting to board the public service vehicles to go to their various homes after a day-long work,” another eye witness told Xinhua at the scene.

The scene is a very busy area with several commuters rushing home after a day-long work.

The place has been sealed off by anti-terrorism police who are trying to establish the cause of the attack in downtown Nairobi.

The latest explosion comes hours after an unidentified man hurled a hand grenade on a nightclub in the center of the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, injuring 14 people. The grenade was thrown into the Mwauras club early on Monday morning.

Police Commissioner Mathew Iteere said investigations had shown no links with the Somali militant group al-Shabaab.

The explosion also came amid intensified security checks in the city in an effort to flush out Al-Shabaab militia in the east African nation.

“I urge the public to report any suspicious people and new occupants in their areas of residence so that we can be able to offer security,” Iteere told journalists earlier in the day.

Witnesses and survivors said the grenade was thrown into Mwaura’ s pub located in a dark street, off Mfangano Street in downtown Nairobi.

The Al-Shabaab has claimed responsibility of the incident and the motive of the attack is yet to be known, although Iteere said it was early to ascertain whether al Shabaab is behind the attack. “We expect to see these kinds of attacks, most probably coming from the Al Shabaab sympathizers in Kenya. We have many of them here,” the commissioner told reporters in Nairobi on Monday.

Al Shabaab is a Somali-based terrorist group that at one time controlled large administrative areas of the lawless country. It has claimed links to the al Qaida terrorist network.



One dead, 13 injured in second city blast


In Summary

Explosion at Nairobi’s OTC comes hours after another in a downtown bar in which revellers were hurt

At least one person was killed Monday evening and 13 others injured in a second explosion to hit Nairobi in 24 hours.

The 8pm explosion was believed to have been a grenade hurled at a moving matatu near a crowded terminus between Race Course and Landhies roads in Nairobi.

The injured were taken to Kenyatta National Hospital for treatment as security officers drawn from the General Service Unit and the police cordoned off the scene opposite the former Jack and Jill Supermarket.

The covered body of the dead person was still at the scene when the Nation team arrived.

Witnesses said the grenade was thrown at a matatu full of passengers, but bounced off its window and exploded in a crowd of people rushing to board buses.

A police officer, who sought anonymity, said they had collected the remains of the explosive device, which they identified as a hand grenade.

The Kaka matatu terminus serves the Kiambu, Githunguri and Ndumberi routes and is close to St Peter Claver’s Church, the Salvation Army Church and is only a few metres from the normally crowded OTC stage, which serves matatus to Nairobi’s Eastlands.

The last explosion at the OTC was the failed assassination attempt against then popular Nyandarua North MP JM Kariuki in 1975.

The explosion came hardly 24 hours after another hand grenade was hurled into a night club along Mfangano Lane in the city, injuring 14 people.

One of those injured in the second blast was taken to theatre in bad state. Most of the victims sustained injuries on their legs.

Following the two explosions, Internal Security PS Francis Kimemia announced a ban on fireworks displays during Diwali and Christmas festivities.

A major crackdown on illegal Somali immigrants was also under way in the country on Monday.

Arrests were reported in Malindi and Nakuru with some of those seized already charged in court.

Disowning operation

In Nairobi’s Eastleigh area, a suburb which has been nicknamed “little Mogadishu” because of the large number of Somali residents from Kenya and Somalia, tension was high.

In Somalia, cracks appeared in the military alliance fighting the Al-Shabaab with Transitional Federal Government President Sheikh Sharif Ahmed disowning Kenya’s security operation.

Even though he had welcomed and supported the joint operation five days ago, President Ahmed yesterday changed tune and said he only wanted Kenya to train and provide logistical support to his troops.

Reports from Somalia said the Kenyan military pushing towards Afmadow had moved beyond the town of Belec Qocani. Their TFG allies were near Afmadow.

Police in Malindi, which neighbours southern Somalia, said they had launched a major crackdown on foreigners fleeing from the war-torn country.

Area police boss Wellington Choka confirmed that 11 people of Somali origin were arrested on Sunday night in Robinson Island and Marereni in Magarini District.

In Nakuru, 10 illegal immigrants of Somali origin were charged with being in the country illegally. They denied being in the country illegally and were remanded in police custody until today when their case will be mentioned.

Meanwhile, leaders from North Eastern have urged local residents to support the military action against Al-Shabaab in Somalia.

Fifteen MPs and elders led by Defence Minister Yusuf Haji and National Assembly Deputy Speaker Farah Maalim told residents in Pangani, Nairobi, that the fight against the militia group was a war against “criminal elements and not targeted at the Somali community in Kenya.”

The leaders branded the militia an enemy unworthy of sympathy. Tension was also high in most towns of North Eastern on Monday following the killing of a chief in Mandera Town.

Jamal Ali Jahazi was shot by unknown people while coming from a mosque on Sunday evening.

Internal Security Minister George Saitoti said police will remain on high alert as the country’s defence forces continue with the crackdown on Al-Shabaab.

Meanwhile, France confirmed it is providing limited logistical support to Kenya’s offensive against Islamist rebels in Somalia, but denied reports that a French warship had bombarded the Somali coast.

October 24


Laaska News.