Iran criticizes AL for its stance toward Syria
Laaska news Dec. 20, 2011
TEHRAN, Dec. 20 (Xinhua) — The Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Middle East and African Affairs Hossein Amir-Abdollahian on Tuesday criticized the Arab League (AL) for its stance toward Syria, the official IRNA news agency reported.
“Unfortunately the Arab League is working in a way to serve the goals of Washington and Tel Aviv in the Middle East,” he was quoted by IRNA.
The U.S. officials are magnifying the events taking place in Syria and certain Arab states and are taking hasty actions which run counter to realities in Syria, the Iranian foreign ministry official said.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is carrying out a reform plan to satisfy the public, he noted, adding that the Arab governments must take into account that the Syrian government is on the frontier of resistance to Israeli occupation.
Syria signed the AL observer protocol on Monday in the Egyptian capital of Cairo after the pan-Arab group threatened to submit the issue to the United Nations Security Council, an AL official told Xinhua.
AL Secretary General Nabil al-Arabi told reporters that the mission’s first delegation will head for Syria in the coming two or three days and will be led by Assistant Secretary General of the AL Samir Saif al-Yazal.
The mission will comprise representatives of Arab organizations, NGOs and some other institutions of Arab countries. Every delegation will have ten or more people assigned to different places in Syria. About 100 observers are suggested for the month- long mission but the number has not been finally decided.
- SYRIA:Arab League observers headed for Syria + Related Articles (laaska.wordpress.com)
- Syria may sign Arab League peace deal + Related Article (laaska.wordpress.com)
- SYRIA:Arab League says not to lift sanctions against Syria (laaska.wordpress.com)
- SYRIA:Syrian FM urges Arab League to show rejection of foreign intervention (laaska.wordpress.com)
- SYRIA:Protesters against Arab League decision sack Saudi embassy in Syria: TV (laaska.wordpress.com)
- DAMASCUS:Syria accepts Arab League’s plan (laaska.wordpress.com)
- Syria:Arab League should help settle Syria crisis – Lavrov (laaska.wordpress.com)
- AL to take peace proposal on Syria to UN security council (laaska.wordpress.com)