Home > ITALY, SOCIETY > ITALY:2 more shipwreck victims identified

ITALY:2 more shipwreck victims identified

Monday, January 16, 2012

Cruise liner Costa Concordia. Photo: EPA  

The bodies of two more passengers of a capsized cruise liner – Spanish and Italian tourists –  were identified late on Sunday.

According to preliminary information the crew of the Costa Concordia liner never sent out a distress signal after the huge vessel with more than 4,000 passengers and crew on board ran aground off the Italian coast in the wee hours on Saturday.

15 people are still unaccounted for.

The number of victims in shipwreck grows to 5

The number of victims in the wreck of The Costa Concordia cruise ship off the Italian coast has reached five people.

The local media report that two bodies were discovered by the divers in the rear part of the ship which is under the water. The identification procedure has begun. The fate of 15 people is still unknown.

The Costa Concordia which carried over 4,200 people, among them over 100 Russian tourists, ran aground and started to sink off the coast of the Italian province of Toscana. The search and rescue activities still continue.

Earlier a South Korean married couple were saved who were on the cruise for their honeymoon and an Italian man who turned out to be one of the ship’s crew.

Costa Concordia missing down to 17

Seventeen people remain unaccounted for after the near capsize of the Costa Concordia, which ran aground on Friday off the coast of Tuscany. Six of them are crewmembers, and 11 are passengers.

There were a total of 4.2 thousand people on board when the disaster struck, including more than 100 Russian holidaymakers. Three people are known to have died, and 67 have received treatment for injuries.

Rescuers scouring the innards of the capsized cruise liner have discovered three survivors of the disaster – an Italian crewmember and a couple of South Korean honeymooners.

Third Costa Concordia survivor rescued

After hours of hard work, rescuers have extracted a third survivor from the Italian cruise liner Costa Concordia, which is lying on its portside two days after running aground off the coast of Tuscany. The rescued man is an Italian crewmember.

The two people rescued earlier are honeymooners from South Korea.

There were a total of 4.2 thousand people on board when the disaster struck. Three have been confirmed dead, and 67 have received treatment for injuries. An investigation is under way.

S.Korean couple rescued from wrecked cruise ship

Two survivors who were earlier found alive on board the Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia have been rescued, the BBC reported on Sunday.

The South Korean couple was on honeymoon when their ship with more than 4,200 passengers on board ran aground off the Isola del Giglio Island on Friday.

At least three people were killed and 67 more injured. More than 40 are still believed to be missing.

Right now, the Costa Concordia is lying on its side close to a coastal island.

Costa Concordia captain detained

The Italian captain of the cruise ship that ran aground – killing three person and injuring 67 more – was arrested late Saturday and is being investigated for manslaughter and abandoning ship, said a local prosecutor in Grosetto, Italy.

The captain, Francesco Schettino, had been earlier interviewed by investigators in Porto Santo Stefano about what happened when the 4,200-passenger Costa Concordia struck rocks in shallow water off Italy’s western coast, said officer Emilio Del Santo of the Coastal Authorities of Livorno.

(IF, TASS, RIAN),VOR.

 

.

Laaska News.
www.laaska.wordpress.com