Armed clashes break out on Sudan, South Sudan border
KHARTOUM, Feb. 26 (Xinhua) — The Sudanese army on Sunday said armed clashes broke out between its forces and South Sudan forces at Jao area on the border between Sudan-South Sudan.
“An alliance bringing together South Sudan’s army and rebels from South Kordofan and Darfur on Sunday morning attacked Buhairat Abiyad at Jao town,” said the Sudanese army in a statement.
The statement accused South Sudan of planning for a full attack against the area, pointing out that the fighting was still continuing.
However, a spokesman of the Revolutionary Front, which brings together fighters from the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement ( SPLM)/northern sector and three Darfur rebel movements, declared the front responsibility of the attack on Jao area.
“This is the first operation for the military alliance. A joint force under the military command of the revolutionary front launched an attack against Jao area today,” Jibril Adam, a spokesman of the Darfur rebel Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) told Xinhua.
Sudan and South Sudan on Feb. 10 signed a security agreement tending to avoid armed conflict between the two sides.
The agreement, which was reached under the mediation of the African Union in Addis Ababa, stipulated that the two sides should respect sovereignty and territorial integrity of each other, non- intervention in each other’s internal affairs, rejecting the use of force and observing common interests and peaceful co-existence.
Sudan and South Sudan have so far failed to demarcate their joint border and they still differ over affiliation of many border areas, including the Jao area.
The Sudanese army could not be contacted immediately to comment on the rebel’s claims.