Home > Middle East (Bariga Dhexe) > Homs ‘all but cleared of opposition fighters’

Homs ‘all but cleared of opposition fighters’

Thursday, March 1, 2012

According to television reports in Lebanon, Syrian government forces have all but cleared the opposition stronghold of Homs of armed rebels.

Al Jazeera, however, reports that the fighting in Homs and two neighbouring towns is raging on, with the rebels still holding out.

The Syrian government says its forces are conducting their offensive in a way which they hope will minimize civilian losses.

Feb 29, 2012

TASS,VOR.

.

 

Related

Assad’s forces advance

The Syrian government’s army has taken over the Baba Amr district in the city of Homs.

Until now, Homs had been the main stronghold of the Syrian opposition.

At present, the army is thoroughly combing through the Baba Amr district searching for militants and weapons.

Last week, two foreign journalists, US Marie Colvin and French Remi Ochlik, were killed during a shelling of Baba Amr. The opposition is claiming that the government forces have shelled Homs for several weeks. However, the government says that it was the opposition itself who started the shelling, filmed it, and ascribed it to the government’s forces.

Feb 29.

RIAN