Home > NORWAY, SOCIETY > First day of trial of Norway gunman Breivik ends – VOR

First day of trial of Norway gunman Breivik ends – VOR

Monday, April 16, 2012

Laaska News  Apr. 16, 2012

Photo: EPA 

Judge Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen announced Monday the end of the first trial day for right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in twin attacks in Norway last July.

After hearing Breivik’s plea of “not guilty” and opening remarks by the prosecution, the defence and lawyers of the victims, the judge said the trial would adjurn until Tuesday, when Breivik will start testifying.
.

Norway gunman Breivik pleads ‘not guilty’ at Oslo trial
.
Right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik pleaded “not guilty” to charges he committed “acts of terror” when he massacred 77 people in twin attacks in Norway last July.

“I acknowledge the acts, but not criminal guilt,” he told the court.

.

Prosecutor shows footage of Breivik’s Oslo bombing

.

Prosecutor Svein Holden showed an Oslo court previously unreleased surveillance footage of Anders Behring Breivik’s July bombing of government buildings Monday, showing people walking towards his parked van as it exploded.

Breivik himself showed no sign of emotion at the detailed footage, but some survivors of his twin attacks and family members of the 77 people he killed, along with many of the journalists in the courtroom, let out a collective gasp as the footage showed the bomb going off.

Breivik tears up as court views propaganda film

.

Anders Behring Breivik, whose trial opened Monday for the killing of 77 people in Norway’s twin attacks last July, welled up in tears as the court viewed a film he posted online the day of the attacks.

His face red with emotion, Breivik’s lips trembled and he wiped away tears as the 12-minute film was projected on a large screen, including photos and drawings of Islamists.

.

Norway mass killer salutes as appears in court

Right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik told the Oslo District Court Monday that he did not recognise its legitimacy as his trial opened for the killing of 77 people in twin attacks in Norway last year.

The Norwegian anti-Islam militant Anders Behring Breivik who massacred 77 people in July arrived under heavy armed guard at an Oslo courthouse on Monday, lifting his arm in what he has called a rightist salute as his trial began.

“I do not recognise the Norwegian courts. You have received your mandate from political parties which support multiculturalism”, Breivik told the court. “I do not acknowledge the authority of the court.”

Breivik, 33, has admitted setting off a car bomb that killed eight people at government headquarters in Oslo, then massacring 69 in a shooting spree at an island summer camp for Labour Party youths.

Breivik trial begins in Oslo

Anders Breivik has promised to keep a low profile during his trial which begins today in the Circuit Court of the Norwegian capital at 11.00 Moscow time.

Before the start of deliberation on the case, Oslo has taken stringent security measures including the whole or partial closing of all seven streets leading to the court.

It is known that Breivik will be transported to the court from the prison at all times by different routes to avoid attacks on the convoy.

According to a previously approved plan, the process will take about three months.

Anders Breivik is accused of terrorism and the premeditated murder of 77 people on July 22, 2011 in the government district of Oslo and at the Norwegian Youth Camp for the Workers’ Party on the island Utoya.

(AFP, REUTERS, TASS).

.

VOR.